Tuesday, 1 March 2011

WHAT DID I DO TODAY?

I started my day by flicking through old university prospectuses hidden under my bed. I ripped imagery out that inspired an idea for my project to develop from, or simply just related. I wittled them down to just 5 images and stuck them in my book. 

I printed out bus route maps to prepare for the coming travels. 

I then headed to The Museum of London in Barbican, which took 2 hours to get to! (I got the train in the wrong direction and ended up in Hertford North!!!) On the train there I noted down sentences from a couple's conversation as I was inspired by an image from a prospectus to look into language used in different areas. I couldn't go and explore Hertford North because it isn't classed as being in London :(


WAS I PRODUCTIVE?

I was, but it took me a while to get to 'being productive' - delays such as getting the wrong train and leaving the house late disrupted my flow. However I tried to make the most of my travels (noting down the conversation). I perked up once I got to the museum. It was so interesting - a great building and so many varying exhibitions to see. Free too!!

WHAT DID I LEARN?

*Where the Museum of London was! I thought it was at Bank Station!  It's actually at Barbican.
*That elephants, moneys, hippos and lions lived in the Thames Valley in the Ice Age! 
*I found a skull of an aurochs' skull from Ilford!
 A flint from Edmonton in Enfield. 
A reindeer's antler from Twinkenham sewage works.
 A canine tooth of a hippo from Peckham! 
An elephant's back foot from Aveley, Essex!

*I learnt about how street photographers work and saw the range of photography from the 1800s to the present. I saw the change in London through the ages. 

*I learnt of Robert Graves and Didier Madoc-Jones' 'Postcards from the future' . These images were predictions of the London's future and included titles such as 'KEW NUCLEAR POWER STATION'.... 'BUCKINGHAM PALACE SHANTY TOWN'. 

*I learnt about the City of London and also saw the Lord Mayor's show-carriage.

*I learnt of the 'Race Relations' issues in the 1960s and 1970s and the laws that were passed to prevent racism. 

*I saw the transition of fashion through the decades

Also, when I got home to Southgate Station (where I live) I found a plaque which told me about the architect and how it is listed as a building of National Significance! : ) 

WHAT CAN I TAKE FROM WHAT I LEARNT?

A lot of things really. I could find a way of incorporating the now foreign animals into London scenes like this image (left) that I found on Getty Images. 

I could try creating my own 'London Futures' postcards.

I could make a badge for myself to show I am English, as I don't look it (apparently I look Scandinavian. This leads me to thinking of the phrase 'I am English' in different languages to show that many immigrants now consider themselves English. The badge would be ironic - say, their home flag and on top the phrase 'I am English'. 

I could also create a guide of 'what to wear to fit in in the area' of london. 


HAVE I DOCUMENTED MY EXPERIENCE?

Yes, while at the museum I sketched and noted down useful facts. I stuck pictures I'd taken in my sketchbook afterwards. I also found a newspaper article on the Street Photography exhibition which I've kept in my sketch book. 


IS THERE A DIRECTION MY PROJECT IS TAKING?

No, not yet really. I'm just trying to gather a range of information to keep my options open.

AM I ON TRACK? 

Yes, I'm making up for having started a week late and have filled a sketchbook in 2 days!


No comments:

Post a Comment