Contextual Research
I began by asking people to mark on the tube map where they think is an interesting place to visit.
Visited the London Transport Museum where I found out about older forms of transport in London and how they followed up to today’s tubes and buses. I also documented posters that promote different stops on the underground; Metro-Land posters that promote country walks via tube and marketed houses in the areas. I went on to find postcards with pictures of the tube and railway stations. I went to the resources area to try to find posters and postcards promoting specific stations; I found a lot of posters promoting stations for specific events such as ‘Wimbledon Tennis – Southfields St. thence special bus to grounds’.
I looked through 2009 prospectuses for universities for inspirational imagery. I spoke to strangers like the grass-layer and the man on the tube who gave me ideas of exhibitions to visit.
I went to the Museum of London. On the way I documented a couple’s conversation. At the museum I visited an exhibition showing artifacts and ancient animal bones found in the Thames Valley (e.g. A canine tooth of a hippo found in Peckham (130,000BC – 110,000BC). I went on to a ‘Street Photography’ exhibition and then to one called ‘London Futures’. This was particularly interesting as the show was described as ‘Postcards from the Future’ – postcards are something I am heading towards making. I also saw one called ‘Changing London’ that delved into race relations in the 1960s as well as changing fashions.
I visited Clapham Common, drew people’s fashions and documented the town and my reactions to it. There, I also sought postcards of the area but no luck. Afterwards I went to past Battersea, through Chelsea Embankment and to Victoria Library. Here I found books: ‘Mayfair’, ‘The London Collection’ and ‘Platform for Art on the Underground’. I was advised to visit Westminster Library and Archives, where I found ‘Moving Millions – A Pictorial History of London Transport’, ‘London, A century in the City’. Both libraries also lead me to further reading like ‘The Complete Postcard Art of Gilbert and George’.
I visited Camden Lock, documenting the place and people. I did some secret filming in Cyberdog, a shop in The Stables that epitomises Camden. I finally went to East Finchley to ‘Black Gull Books’ where I bought 3 postcards – 2 of old Finchley and 1 of new Camden.
Experimentation and Development
I have not yet entered the experimentation stage but have recorded all ideas sprung from the research as I went along. I have drawn and photographed as I went along so I could start with these.
Now what?
I should have started the experimentation stage on the 3rd, however this did not happen due to delays (portfolio building and reviews). I will stick to my action plan but will have to work hard consistently to finish. I find myself focusing on postcards to represent the areas I visit. I will need to do more research as I go along.
I began by asking people to mark on the tube map where they think is an interesting place to visit.
Visited the London Transport Museum where I found out about older forms of transport in London and how they followed up to today’s tubes and buses. I also documented posters that promote different stops on the underground; Metro-Land posters that promote country walks via tube and marketed houses in the areas. I went on to find postcards with pictures of the tube and railway stations. I went to the resources area to try to find posters and postcards promoting specific stations; I found a lot of posters promoting stations for specific events such as ‘Wimbledon Tennis – Southfields St. thence special bus to grounds’.
I looked through 2009 prospectuses for universities for inspirational imagery. I spoke to strangers like the grass-layer and the man on the tube who gave me ideas of exhibitions to visit.
I went to the Museum of London. On the way I documented a couple’s conversation. At the museum I visited an exhibition showing artifacts and ancient animal bones found in the Thames Valley (e.g. A canine tooth of a hippo found in Peckham (130,000BC – 110,000BC). I went on to a ‘Street Photography’ exhibition and then to one called ‘London Futures’. This was particularly interesting as the show was described as ‘Postcards from the Future’ – postcards are something I am heading towards making. I also saw one called ‘Changing London’ that delved into race relations in the 1960s as well as changing fashions.
I visited Clapham Common, drew people’s fashions and documented the town and my reactions to it. There, I also sought postcards of the area but no luck. Afterwards I went to past Battersea, through Chelsea Embankment and to Victoria Library. Here I found books: ‘Mayfair’, ‘The London Collection’ and ‘Platform for Art on the Underground’. I was advised to visit Westminster Library and Archives, where I found ‘Moving Millions – A Pictorial History of London Transport’, ‘London, A century in the City’. Both libraries also lead me to further reading like ‘The Complete Postcard Art of Gilbert and George’.
I visited Camden Lock, documenting the place and people. I did some secret filming in Cyberdog, a shop in The Stables that epitomises Camden. I finally went to East Finchley to ‘Black Gull Books’ where I bought 3 postcards – 2 of old Finchley and 1 of new Camden.
Experimentation and Development
I have not yet entered the experimentation stage but have recorded all ideas sprung from the research as I went along. I have drawn and photographed as I went along so I could start with these.
Now what?
I should have started the experimentation stage on the 3rd, however this did not happen due to delays (portfolio building and reviews). I will stick to my action plan but will have to work hard consistently to finish. I find myself focusing on postcards to represent the areas I visit. I will need to do more research as I go along.
No comments:
Post a Comment