Monday, 28 February 2011

28/02/11

WHAT DID I DO TODAY?

I began my studies by taking a bunch of tube maps from the station and gave them out to people at college. I asked them to mark places on the tube map where they recommend I should visit. I asked them to consider places that are interesting, lovely or horrible to them. A few of them also wrote a note of where or what there is specifically to see there or a comment like 'Is there more than a car park?!'. 

My tutor Nigel marked Covent Garden and recommended I visit The London Transport Museum as it related to my project. So I did. I spent about 4 hours here. 


WAS I PRODUCTIVE?

Yes! I worked so hard even though I was falling asleep. I filled over half a sketchbook, which is a plus!

WHAT DID I LEARN?

Everyone's responses from the marked tube maps were, for the most part, different. There were places recommended for positive reasons both in and outside Central London.

At the LTM, I learnt, well, a lot of things. Should I list them? Hm. 
* The population of London through time
*Transportation methods through time
*People's reactions to transport in the old days and could relate them to nowadays. 

(e.g. "Here we are in all six and twenty sweating citizens, jammed, crammed and squeezed into each other like so many peas in a pod")

*The people involved in the development of transport
*The difference in train and tube maps compared to ones now
*Who was involved in defining the identity of London Underground, including posters and architecture
*A scheme called 'Metro-Land' 
*Poster design
*Old photographs and postcards
*How the underground network has changed and grown through time


WHAT CAN I TAKE FROM WHAT I LEARNT?

I found it all interesting. My project aimed to look at people and place in different areas of London. I found that looking through post-cards and posters to promote the areas linked in with this well. 

HAVE I DOCUMENTED MY EXPERIENCE?

Yes, I have marked tube maps stuck into my sketchpad. Whilst in the LTM, I wrote down facts and ideas that sprung from them. I drew sketches and also printed out pictures I took whilst there. I have also stuck in postcards that I bought from the souvenir shop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment